A Century Of Legal Service

  1. Home
  2.  • 
  3. Firm News
  4.  • How do I file a complaint on my employer for violating the FLSA?

How do I file a complaint on my employer for violating the FLSA?

On Behalf of | Nov 14, 2019 | Firm News |

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) provides federal and state guidelines for minimum wage, youth employment, record keeping and overtime pay. If an employer doesn’t obey these laws, you may file a complaint. Unfortunately, employers violate FLSA laws far too often.

According to a report compiled by the United States Department of Labor (DOL), violations related to minimum wage account for eight to 14 billion dollars each year. To recover the money owed to you, the next step you take could be filing a complaint with the U.S. DOL.

What is the process for filing a complaint?

The procedure for filing a complaint is relatively quick and straightforward. To file a complaint, you can call, mail or visit your state’s office for the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. DOL. To recover back wages, there is some necessary information that you will need to provide, such as:

  • Your full legal name
  • Your contact information
  • The name of your employer
  • Category of work performed
  • Contact information and location of your employer
  • Your supervisor’s name
  • Pay schedule
  • Description of violations that occurred

Once the U.S. DOL has received your complaint, an investigation will begin. All of your information will be kept confidential. The FLSA protects employees who file complaints from being retaliated against.

If you believe that your employer has withheld wages from you, speaking with an employment law attorney might be in your best interest. Your lawyer can identify any violations made by your employer. If they also believe a violation occurred, they can guide you through the complaint filing process.